Permits are required for most types of construction work within the City of Muskego. Please see the list below for a list of some of the items that required permits. Please keep in mind that this list may not cover all projects that require a permit, so please check with City staff whenever there are questions if a permit may be required. Even if a Building Permit is not required, make sure to check if a Zoning Permit might still be required. These requirements apply for all properties/structures within the City (including, but not limited to residential, multi-family, commercial, industrial, institutional, agricultural, etc.)

Also, all items requiring permits have requirements relating to their allowed location on a lot. These requirement may vary based on a few factors such as the Zoning District, lot size, structure size, etc. For details on the exact location requirements for your project please contact the Planning Division at (262) 679-4136 or via email at

Submit for Permits Online Now HERE or See the Applications Below

Approximate Permit Fees

Building Permits are required for the following types of work:

  • New Construction
  • Additions, Alterations and Remodeling (interior and/or exterior)
  • Accessory Buildings, Outbuildings, Sheds (of any size), etc.
  • Window or Door Changes – Typically only when changing sizes, adding an opening, or eliminating openings
  • Swimming Pool (in-ground or above-ground) – Even some temporary type pools
  • Spas, and Hot Tubs (indoor or outdoor)
  • Dishwashers and Garbage Disposals - Both New and Replacement
  • Water Softeners, Water Conditioners and Hot Water Heaters - Both New and Replacement
  • Furnaces and Air Conditioners - Both New and Replacements
  • Decks, Stairs, Porches, and Gazebos - Both Attached and Detached
  • New electrical installations, replacements, or additions/extensions to existing electrical circuits
  • New plumbing installations, replacements, or additions/extensions to existing plumbing system.
  • Re-Roofing and Re-Siding - Minor repairs may not require permits, contact inspector to discuss your specific project.
  • Razing, Wrecking, Demolition of any structure
  • Utility Installations – Gas, Cable, Electric, etc.
  • Land Disturbance, Filling, Excavating, Grading may require a Land Disturbance Permit through the Engineering Department.
  • Plastic, Vinyl, or Rubbermaid type Sheds - A Zoning Permit is required for these items.
  • Driveways, Patios, Walkways, Sidewalks - A Zoning Permit is required for these items. This applies to all of the following surfaces: concrete, asphalt, pavers, gravel, etc.
  • Fences and Retaining/Seat Walls (decorative or functional) – A Zoning Permit is required for these items.


The list above may not be all inclusive and it is the owner’s responsibility to check with the Building and/or Planning Divisions to make sure they are getting all of the proper permits. Please do not hesitate to contact Building Inspection and/or Planning to check if a permit is required for your specific project/work. (Do I Need a Permit Brochure)

Permit Applications

Submit for Permits Online now HERE!! or use the Applications below. Submit online payments for permits here or pay by check/cash at City Hall.